Thank you, Felicia for finding this information!! I tell ya--Felicia is a researcher extraordinaire. She deserves a BIG tip for this info. She has staged a one-woman coup! I've gotten quite a few inquiries re research conducted on black-white marriages in general and some of the queries specifically ask about the success rates of BW-WM marriages. Well, these results below are recent and are based on a comprehensive study conducted by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR).
If anyone wants to argue, dispute, or naysay these findings, tell them to argue with the NCFR.
I didn't put any pictures in this essay because I want y'all to copy this and send it to all the bw you know who are still being fed lies upon lies about bw-wm relationship success. So many black women are constantly told the LIE that a relationship or marriage to a white man is not going to work. I was told the same thing by quite a few black folks who claimed they cared about my well-being. LOL! Apparently, they were hoping that what they predicted would come true or they didn't have the facts. THIS research study has proven just the opposite. I'll be sure to send the naysayers these findings.
Here's the LINK to the NCFR's exhaustive findings. LOL! Read it for yourself.
Remember that this research study was conducted by The National Council on Family Relations. (NCFR) They would have NO reason to be biased. This study compared different combos of interracial relationships to same-race relationships. I have listed a few of their findings below.
The report said they "used 10 years as our primary exposure period [to examine] because the average duration of American marriages that end in divorce is 8 years."
1. "Racial differences in marriage, on the other hand, correspond to higher divorce rates but mostly in marriages where the White spouse is female."
2. "NH [non-hispanic] Black husband/White wife marriages were twice as likely to divorce as White/White couples, and NH Asian husband/ White wife couples were 59% more likely, according to Model II. Highlighting the role of gender in interracial dynamics, the reverse combinations actually showed a lower or similar risk of divorce."
[This next finding is really amazing until you consider # 6 below.]
3. "White husband/NH Black wife couples were 44% less likely to divorce than White/White couples," and White husband/NH Asian wife couples were only 4% more likely to divorce by Year 10.
4. "The current study examined the likelihood of divorce among interracial couples compared to same-race couples. We find that although interracial marriages overall are more vulnerable to divorce, this reflects the experience of some but not all couples. According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of their 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males (with the exception of White females/Hispanic White males) relative to White/White couples. Conversely, White men/ non-White women couples show either very little or no differences in divorce rates; or, as in the case of White men and Black women, are substantially less likely than White/White couples to divorce by their 10th year."
5. "Our data show that these marriages, specifically those involving Black men and White women, have the highest likelihood of disruption of any White/ non-White marriages."
6. "NH Black women and White men who choose to intermarry may be selective of an especially high degree of commitment to their relationship that reduces the potential for divorce."
[So this is exactly what I said--even before I read these findings. BW-WM relationships tend to be the REAL DEAL; we're not "experimenting."]
[In other words, bw who marry wm tend to be selective and we tend to select white men who can commit to a long term relationship; these men are serious about that commitment and the converse is also true, meaning that wm tend to select commitment-centric bw.]
I remember Darren actually saying this to me before we got married. He said he knew that I would make a commitment to our marriage, and that he felt very good about that. I knew he was commitment material too.
7. "Interracial couples tend to be homogamous on education."
[This means that their educational levels or skills, abilities, etc. tend to be the same or equivalent.] For ex. one bw who married a wm told me that although her husband didn't have as much advanced education as she had, he was a diplomat. It goes without saying that through his job, he brought a tremendous amount of social and other capital to her table--although he didn't have as much formal education as she had. (Read about this couple in BOOK 2 of my essays.)
8. "Whites, specifically White females, who intermarry tend to be less educated than those who marry other Whites."
Wow, so much about these findings rings true--in general--about me and Darren.
Anyway, Felicia has dug out the research findings. It's not necessary to argue with anyone; just refer them to the study and if they want to argue, tell them to get in touch with the NCFR. This is especially timely info.
To black women and ALL of our male admirers. Yeah, YOU. LOL! PLEASE circulate this information. It doesn't matter what the women do with it. Just send it to them.
The following pertains to black-black marriages in the U.S. I didn't make any of this up. This is actually what's going on despite all notions about "black love" and "black folks gotta stick together" and other types of magical thinking circulating among blacks in the U.S.
Divorce Statistics: Effects on Black Community
http://www.divorcereform.org/black.html (Handy information regarding the dismal state of black relationships. Lowest married rate and highest divorce rate.)
Here's an ARTICLE I just received that was pulled from Essence Magazine. Thank you SF for this link!
Lawdy! Essence is finally catching on--a lil bit. Among middle-class and upwardly mobile bw in the U.S. who seek love and marriage --with a suitable and compatible quality man--along with children, and IN THAT ORDER, the exodus is already well underway. By this, I mean there is a quiet shift taking place emotionally, mentally, intellectually, if not physically--yet. MANY bw in these shifting categories are already ISO new destinations. However, a lot of bw do not have the right information about their various options, but once they get it, they're not slow. Please spread the information!! When bw know better, the vast majority of them will make better choices.
Anyway, I'll be back in a few days to stick in some pictures and links of more weddings scenes, marriage announcements etc. In the meanwhile, make sure you're MOVING ON.